This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase from one of these links I will get a commission.
Stress is an all too frequent occurrence for most of us.
That’s why it’s important to know the steps to reduce stress before it overwhelms us. Once we get into the stress spiral, it starts to affect all aspects of our lives, including our work, our relationships, and our health.
The next time you feel that tightening in your shoulder muscles or a headache creeping up on you try one of these steps to reduce stress. You don’t need to do all of them. But try them out and pick a few that make your stress levels drop. If needed, put a post-it note of your favorite stress reducer on your desk or steering wheel or make a note in your phone.
When you feel stress creep up on you or you find yourself in a stressful situation, stop and take a moment to slow down and simply be.
10 Steps to Reduce Stress
- Breathe–deep, slow breaths, often with eyes closed are helpful, some smartwatches even have deep breathing guidance apps installed. Just press start and feel your breathing deepen and slow.
- Meditate–there are a million apps for meditation you can download to your phone, there are several I love and you may find one you enjoy, but you don’t need one. Just sit with your back straight, eyes closed, and focus on your breath.
- Unplug–it doesn’t need to be forever or even for the day. But just walking away from devices and screens even for a few minutes can be helpful at bringing your stress levels down.
- Listening to relaxing music–music is a great pick me up when you need a boost of energy, but it can also help you calm down, relax and breathe. My most favorite relaxing music is actually the sounds of ocean waves.
- Sip a cup of tea–warm beverages are particularly soothing. Chamomile tea is perfect for helping you relax and unwind. Other favorites are peppermint and valerian root. It’s not so much about the flavor, but the act of slowing down and being present with your tea. Whatever flavor you prefer is fine, but try to steer clear of caffeine.
- Go outside–if you can find a bit of green space that is ideal. If you can take a walk in the woods, along the beach, or through a garden space, you won’t regret it. Time spent outside is a great stress reducer. Try a brief walk along with some deep breathing.
- Play with your pets–if you have a furry friend, spend some time playing with him. It’s difficult to feel stress when you’re rolling around on the floor being licked by a puppy. Even if you don’t have a pet, you can borrow one or volunteer to play with the animals at a local shelter.
- Take a walk–taking a walk gets you outside and breathing more deeply. Plus it’s a great way to clear the cobwebs out of your mind and put things in perspective. Physical activity is a great idea to reduce stress.
- Enjoying a laugh–laughter is one of the most stress reducing things we can do, plus it just feels so amazing. Laughter is like a workout for your body and mind. Laughter is so essential to health and happiness, there’s even such a thing as Laughter Yoga!
- Inhale a scent–essential oils are everywhere and devotees swear by them for everything from a common cold to chronic disease relief. I’m not sure about all that, but spending a few moments inhaling the beautiful scents of an essential oil is a great way to beat stress. Some great essential oils for relaxation are lavender, peppermint, rose and frankincense.
Final Thoughts about 10 Steps to Reduce Stress
Finding ways to reduce stress are important to maintaining your health and vitality even well into old age. It doesn’t need to be difficult and it shouldn’t add MORE stress to your life. But it is important to have a plan and know what steps you will take to reduce stress when it comes.
Read More About Simple Steps to Reduce Stress
Are you stressed out? How do you reduce stress? Let me know in the comments below.
Simplicity is making the journey of this life with just baggage enough.Charles Dudley Warner
P.S. If you enjoyed this post on tips to reduce stress, pin and comment please =)